QOTY

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 6 18:03:14 UTC 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> If he'd said, "We need more hard work, rugged individualism, and personal
> reponsibility," few would have objected.
>
> But that wouldn't be in the running for QOTY, would it?
>
> Controversially phrased, off-topic, fascinating political observation:
>
> Pundits say that by cannily declining to run, former small-town beauty queen
> Sarah Palin becomes "kingmaker" and "most powerful Republican of them all,"
> as candidates grovel for her coveted endorsement.
>
> JL

Did anyone else click on the link below, which is the "Fox Nation" coverage of Cain's comment?  Of course, virtually everyone responding there was in complete agreement with the sentiment--but not everyone was fully ready to adopt Cain as standard bearer.  I was struck by what looks like a bit of orthographic euphemism in this response by Mike Hyland:

Careful as no one knows anything about this b lacqman with absolutely zero experience in government. Sounds like voting for surprise number 2 whcih comes form trusting a bla cqman to rule a country the size of the USA. Show me where in history this turned out for the betterment of the people ruled or governed by a blac qman

I don't want to focus on the obvious tension between the two…uh, narratives here (Black men in power is a Bad Thing; Blaming the victim is a Good Thing) but on the repeated use of "blacqman".  Does anyone know if this spelling is just Hyland's personal idiosyncrasy or a standard device on the part of fellow thinkers--a kind of right-wing counterpart to "Amerika"?

LH