"spend a penny" -- the TLS is at it again.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 9 23:58:46 UTC 2011

At 10/9/2011 01:39 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>"Spend a penny" couldn't be a pun on "p." could it?

Not likely, if the 1747 example alludes to laxatives?  Although
perhaps the later uses derive from a different fount.

(And "pee, v." seems somewhat later -- the OED has 1788.  Unless it's
a pun on piss.)

Joel