"Walk the plank", 1763 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 11 16:13:58 UTC 2011

Style of dress is optional.

However, I didn't make that up. I read some years ago - maybe in the
'90s - that no real pirates were known to have made people walk the
plank and that it was a romantic 19th C. conceit.

The miracle of databases shows that sometimes people did walk the
plank.  But the evidence suggests that it didn't happen very often,
and that the actual phrase "walk the plank" was not an established
idiom. And that the whole idea of "get captured by pirates and be made
to walk the plank" wasn't much of a meme.

JL