"Walk the plank", 1763 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 11 21:30:05 UTC 2011

I don't trust the 1860 explanation of a temporary
dunking (if interpreted as the sole meaning), nor
the implication that because looking for
"pirates" leads mainly to fiction therefore
walking the plank was not done by pirates.

First, 1860 is late enough that walking the plank
to "destroy" someone was "obsolete":
1867    W. H. Smyth Sailor's Word-bk.,   Walking
a plank, an obsolete method of destroying people
in mutiny and piracy, under a plea of avoiding the penalty of murder.

Second, some of the presumably-factual newspaper
reports in the 18th and early 19th centuries come from piratical events.

One should look for variants from "walk the
plank", such as the 1763 "walk into the sea upon
a plank".  And one should look also for
"privateer" -- there was not much discrimination
in the 18th century and earlier.

The 1763 report (still the earliest, I think) is:
"   According to our last advices from St. Christophers [date set
for execution of 4 persons for piracy] ...four other small vessels
... were cruising ... manned by Spaniards and Caribbee-Indians, who
had taken several vessels, and among others one belonging to the
Grenades, whose crew, being English, they obliged to walk into the
sea upon a plank fixed for that purpose; this was related by one who,
through good swimming, got ashore at the Grenades."

He was not taken back aboard.  And the others, presumably, died.

In a previous message I provided 5 additional
news reports from American newspapers, from 1779
to 1835.  While the 1779 appears to be a
"temporary" punishment, the 1784, 1822, and 1835
are about piracy. (The fifth, from 1796,  is a
report from England about a trial.  It contains a
quotation from a captain who said he would "take
a plank and walk overboard" before he would let
mutineers kill him.)  And these were from only EAN Series 1 and 2.

Now also --

1823 -- from Grose, _Classical Dictionary of the
Vulgar Tongue_:  "A mode of destroying devoted
persons or officers in a mutiny or ship-board, by
blindfolding them, and obliging them to walk on a
plank, laid over the ship's side; by this means,
as the mutineers suppose, avoiding the penalty of
murder."  [  Possibly also present in 1811 (no
preview available).  Although this is mutiny, not
piracy, it is surely not temporary.  And by that
time, perhaps piracy was a diminished threat.]

1839, James Fenimore Cooper -- no, not fiction
but _The History of the Navy of the United States
of America_, vol. 1. p. 103:  "To each of the
lieutenants was to have been offered the option
of navigating the ship into the nearest British
port, or of walking a plank."  [This is about a mutiny, but permanent.]

1853, The evangelical pulpit: twenty-eight
sermons by the most eminent ... - Page 132: "walk upon a plank".

Rareness of the expression in factual reports is
another question.  But might there have been few
survivors to give interviews to newspapers, and the pirates surely would not.

Joel