"send the wrong message"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 14 20:07:47 UTC 2011

Perhaps Willkie merely said the wrong to the wrong audience; i.e., put
his foot in his mouth.

The "message" or "signal" in recent usage is usually no more than a
suggestion, a hint, a strong implication, an invitation to draw a
false conclusion, the "wrong idea."

JL