"send the wrong message"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 15 01:07:34 UTC 2011

OK, let me simplify it further--"receiving mixed signals" means being
unsure of intent, irrespectively of whether any actual indications,
tokens, facts, qualities, signs or symbols have been actually
transmitted. "Sending mixed signals" means that someone is "receiving
mixed signals" in that same sense. No signals--strictly a metaphor!

     VS-)