name regret

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 15 13:53:18 UTC 2011

What seems "cool" to the namer may seem godawful to the namee just a
few years later.

When I was a boy, I was the only "Jonathan" in sight. (Except - very
obscurely - Jonathan Logan). It was no fun.

I was often told too that my middle name, "Evan," still more obscure,
was "a girl's name."  (Maybe because back then "Ellen" was rather more
popular than it is today. For girls.) This news was usually followed
by exaggerated kid-laughter.

Now, of course, "Jonathan" and "Evan" have both emerged from the
shadows.  (For some reason, people now want to like spell the former
with a two "o's" :  Jonathon Green appears boldly to have pioneered
this approach.)

JL