Further Antedating of "Biblical"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 16 03:34:35 UTC 2011

On Oct 15, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> Here's a still earlier antedating:
>
> biblical (OED 1790)
>
> 1652 Anthony Burgess _Spiritual Refining_ 527 (Early English Books Online)  It will be very impertinent to give you a Theological, and Biblical use of the word _Spirit_, which is of a great latitude in its signification.

I suspect the OED dismissed this as a potential antedate on the assumption that this was written by *our* Anthony Burgess (1917-1993), novelist, philologist, and author of _A Clockwork Orange_ as well as the less famous _The Doctor is Sick_, which features a linguistics professor as protagonist.  Based on my reading of him, Burgess is a man who I wouldn't put time-traveling past.  Other quotes from Burgess bearing on this:

"The aura of the theocratic death penalty for adultery still clings to America, even outside New England, and multiple divorce, which looks to the European like serial polygamy, is the moral solution to the problem of the itch."

"Every dogma has its day."  [To be sure, others may have come up with this one.]

and especially

"All human life is here, but the Holy Ghost seems to be somewhere else."

--clearly authored by the same pen as the 1652 one above, although Burgess must have decided to be more circumspect while dwelling in the 17th century.

(I also like his observation that “The downtrodden...are the great creators of slang", but that's of less theological relevance for current purposes.)

LH