dry = 'wet'?

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Oct 16 17:46:36 UTC 2011

Idly looking at a cocktail recipe in a magazine, I found--following a list of ingredients, all of them liquid--this instruction:  "Put all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir once.  Dry-shake, then shake with ice."

I know nothing about "mixology," but that use seem paradoxical!  A web site on the subject, though, confirms what is obviously the meaning:

"[T]o dry-shake a cocktail means to shake the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with no ice."

http://www.yumsugar.com/What-Dry-Shaking-13373951

--Charlie