"Luck out"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 16 20:32:22 UTC 2011

--

A possibility which I hadn't considered, but still I think only one of
several.

--

--

IMHO:

Possibility: "Lucked Out" elliptical for "He [Finally] Lucked Out"
meaning "He [finally] got bad luck" ('negative' intransitive verb).

Possibility: "Lucked Out" elliptical for "He Was [All] Lucked Out"
meaning "His luck had run out" (adjective).

Possibility: "Lucked Out" elliptical for "He Lucked Out, but ..."
meaning "He had good luck, but then later ..." ('positive' intransitive
verb).

Possibility: "Lucked Out" elliptical for "He Was/Got Lucked Out" meaning
"He was knocked out by bad luck" (passive transitive verb).

Etc.

--

--

I think old personal recollections are of very limited value for the
usual several reasons. Still they are of interest in a case like this

I think appearance of a word without documented context, e.g., in a
dictionary entry or word-list, is limited for similar usual reasons.

In the current case, there are solid (although sparse) 1950's-1970's US
examples of 'negative' intransitive "luck out", so there is no question
of existence ... although we don't see evidence of widespread WW II era
use (as JL agrees, I think).

On-line modern examples of this "luck out" = "get bad luck" exist ...
maybe all or nearly all from non-US writers (I did only a quick glance).

What do the non-US-an scholars think?

-- Doug Wilson