What on Earth??

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 17 18:55:35 UTC 2011

Reminds me of those old papers by Georgia Green and/or Jerry Morgan that begin with a sentence that sounds like word salad out of context, e.g.

"The Pope thinks with a fork"

and then goes on to point out that this is unexceptionable as the answer to a question like

"How does Nixon eat pizza?"

Some speakers no doubt end up feeling, even after the elliptical reading is pointed out, that the first statement is…well, odd--for spiritual reasons, as it were.

LH