fun with phrases

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 19 23:25:29 UTC 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> If I understand Friedman's version correctly as a foreign policy
> commentary, then the correct version should be, "If you fix it, you own
> it."

I don't see that.  I thought Friedman's point was that we did break Iraq ("Stuff happens"), and so now (2003) we owned it, and it was our responsibility to fix it, and so on.  But the breaking did come first (even though he was gung-ho for the invasion before he was against it, to not coin a phrase).

LH