fun with phrases

Thu Oct 20 00:54:58 UTC 2011

Here is an excerpt from the article by Thomas L. Friedman containing
the phrase "pottery store rule" that was mentioned in this thread by
LH who gave a date of February 12, 2003 in his first message on this
topic. Friedman employs the cliché variant with "own it" instead of
"bought it" or "buy it".

Date: 2003 February 12
Newspaper: New York Times
Title: Present at ... What?
Author: Thomas L. Friedman
Page: A37
Location: New York
Database: ProQuest
<Begin excerpt>
Let's start with the Bush hawks. The first rule of any Iraq invasion
is the pottery store rule: You break it, you own it. We break Iraq, we
own Iraq - and we own the primary responsibility for rebuilding a
country of 23 million people that has more in common with Yugoslavia
than with any other Arab nation.
<End excerpt>

Garson