Q: Did Latin's "niger" (black) originate from an African word for the Niger River?

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Oct 23 15:22:25 UTC 2011

I don't think the Niger River was known to the Romans or even earlier to
the Greeks. They traded with Mediterranean Africa and knew of the Sudan
and Ethiopia (not as defined politically since the 19th century!),
thanks to trade along the Nile River and along the Red Sea, but not as
well as they knew (the northern part of) Egypt. The statement that "Ger,
or Geir, is African for _river_" is ridiculous. What does "African" mean
linguistically, even from the point of view of language families. It's
like saying the Rhine is European for river.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual&  Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene