Born Alone, Die Alone: What Does This Mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 24 18:11:42 UTC 2011

You're born alone inside your own body and mind. While you're alive,
nobody feels what you feel, notably your pain. When you die, nobody's
coming along with you into the dark.

Despite appearances, you're alone all the way through. (Except in the
poster with the two sets of footprints.)

I encountered this radically existentialist proverb - or something
very much like it - probably forty years ago. And the idea certainly
wasn't new then.

JL