"Galley" missing from the OED?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 27 00:15:37 UTC 2011

At 10/26/2011 07:24 PM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>It doesn't appear that the OED entry for "galleon" has been updated since
>the first edition.

And was the 18th century, where I see "galley", overlooked in the
19th century?

>And I would think the "galley" mentioned in the definition of "galleon" is
>the oar-driven craft. To accommodate the oars, galleys are necessarily lower
>and longer than sailing ships.

Perhaps, although some (all?) galleons were (partly) oar-driven.  But
even so, I doubt that the "galley" of my ocean-crossing vessel, and
many others named in the 18th century customs house reports, were the
OED's galley -- they were American- (and some British-) built,
American and British operated, and unlikely to have rows of oarers to
propel them, unlike the Spanish galleons manned by prisoners (at
least in the movies).

Wikipedia on "galleon" makes me think the 18th-century "galley" I've
seen might have been a galleon:  "A galleon was a large, multi-decked
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_ship>sailing ship used
primarily by <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe>European states
from the 16th to 18th centuries. Whether used for war or commerce,
they were generally armed with the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi-culverin>demi-culverin type of
cannon."  But as I wrote before, "galley" does not appear, either as
an alternate spelling or in a quotation, s.v. "galleon".

Joel