sound = 'video of someone speaking'

Fri Oct 28 23:08:54 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote

> Several times recently I've noticed CNN anchors announce, "And now we
> have some sound for you," before switching to an ordinary video clip.
> The difference?  In "video," people or things are moving around doing
> things.  In "sound," the President or a spokesperson for something or
> somebody is calmly talking to journalists.  But you can still see the
> speaker.
>
> If a politician gives a campaign speech with flags waving and an
> audience backdrop, gesturing decisively, is that "sound" or is it
> "video"?  Stay tuned.

Here are two instances from CNN transcripts. Admittedly, the content
of the videos shown is not obvious. Please follow the links to obtain
more background information if this topic interests you.

CNN TONIGHT
Seven CIA Agents Killed in Suicide Bombing; Visa Loophole; New Year
Countdown; Year in Scandals
Aired December 31, 2009 - 20:00   ET
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0912/31/ctn.02.html

[Begin excerpt]
Now we have some sound for you. Let's move our way over to Copenhagen.
Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(NEW YEAR'S CELEBRATION IN COPENHAGEN)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

LEVS: Great stuff. You can hear the revelers there. And let's keep
looking at it. What this is, is City Hall Square where a lot of people
pack in every year.
[End excerpt]

CNN SATURDAY MORNING NEWS
Tornadoes Tear Through South, Midwest; Millions Gather Worldwide To
Ring In 2011; Unusual New Year's Traditions; Testing Hangover Remedies
Aired January 1, 2011 - 06:00   ET
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/01/smn.01.html

[Begin excerpt]
Now, we have some sound with a woman who was actually not at home when
the storm hit. But when she came home, this is what she found.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Everything's gone. We don't -- there's nothing
left. Maybe a few of my son's toys that I might be able to salvage,
but -- the Christmas tree was still up. I mean, everything --
everything we had and everything I owned is gone.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
[End excerpt]

I have heard the phrase used several times over a period of years, but
it was used during a specific scenario (at least in the past). When
there were technical difficulties in obtaining an audio transmission
then the announcer would engage in some other activity.

When the technical obstructions were removed the announcer would
introduce the delayed segment with: "And now we have audio" or "And
now we have some sound for you". The video transmission would then
switch to the remote location or the video clip.

The existence of previous audio difficulties is not always obvious.
But I do not see evidence of audio difficulties in the transcripts of
these examples.