Toward an American Dialect Standard

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 30 15:17:24 UTC 2011

I am entertaining guests who have a heavy duty dialect.  I mostly do not understand what they are saying.  They have heavy duty ideolects as well which compounds the problem.  This is not good.  How can we fix this?

The fix should come from this organization, the American Dialect Society.  It should establish a "recommended" American dialect standard".  It probably would not differ much from standard dictionaries.  The problem areas should be addressed, such as ah for awe swaps and s for z swaps for plurals.

Has anything ever been tried like this.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk