no rhyme for "castle"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 31 12:30:48 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 7:05 AM, Janis Vizier Nihart wrote:

> castle--hassle?  tassel?

Check the first posting in the thread.  The observation was that if the /t/ in "castle" is pronounced, there will no longer be any rhymes for "castle" i.e. /'kaest at l/.  The standard (if not only) pronunciation (for anyone other than Lorraine Bracco, as reported by Jon), /'kaes at l/, sports many rhymes.  The /'kaest at l/ pronunciation is the one that presents challenges, although (as argued by some of us) not insuperable ones.

LH