no rhyme for "castle"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 31 15:23:06 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> If you say the "T" in "castle,"
> It still won't rhyme with "pastel."
> You may have a go at "bastle,"
> But that won't rhyme with "orange"
> Or "silver." What a hastle!
>
> JL

Very nice.  As for "orange", the closest I've encountered--posted here earlier--is this hudibrastic couplet (gratia Neal Whitman for the term):

The River, Where She Sleeps
Tracy Grammer & Dave Carter

Professor come to burst my bubble
says that girl is bound for trouble
serves me solace in a paper cup.
But it looks a bit like agent orange
and when he leaves he slams the door an(d) j-
-ust about that time she phones me up.

where ['orInJ] and ['dOrInJ] are a perfect rhyme. This inspired my effort, unconvincing though it may have been, with "castle" (+ tea) and "fast'll".   And "silver"? OK, here goes (with apologies to Sam Butler):

Let us seek some shirts of silver,
periwinkle, fuchsia, midnight blue,
plum or maize, at least until ver-
milion can be sold to me and you.