Toward an American Dialect Standard (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 31 18:34:12 UTC 2011

Being a polite kind of guy, I didn't correct any pronunciations.  I just faked that I understood what they said and smiled a lot.  When I could tell a question was directed at me, I asked to repeat it.  It was not fun.  It was more their pattern of speech that was the problem, quick, soft talk.  And it never got better.

I never said I corrected their pronunciation.  Do yourself a favor and assume the best of people.

You miss the big point.  Has or had the ADS any interest in establishing an American Standard pronunciation, or shall it leave the job to dictionaries?

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk