he and who

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 2 04:44:12 UTC 2011

I don't dispute anything Arnold said--he knows far more about it than I ever
hope to learn. But his comment is about the relationship between two
processes. I was pointing to a single instance. To rephrase the original
post as a question, in light of Arnold's post, although the long-term
processes are independent, might the use of "he" in the _given_sentence_
have been consciously influenced by the hyper-correction of "who" within the
sentence that immediately follows? My initial guess is based on the notion
that most writers--especially professional writers (including
journalists)--plan more than a single sentence ahead. That would mean that a
succeeding sentence may influence an earlier one. It's not quite like
playing chess, but that's the general idea ;-) In particular, I suspect this
direction because (a) is more established and more pervasive than (b). And I
suspect it as a possibility at all because such proximity may well dispose
with the superficiality of "extremely superficial fact that both have a
nominative pronoun where old prescriptions would insist on an accusative".

I am not suggesting that (a) has any influence on (b) _in_general_--even if
I were not persuaded by Arnold's account (which I am), I simply have no
reason to construct such a generalization. But, absent this somewhat ad hoc
explanation, we'd have to go with Plan B theory--that it's just a
coincidence.

VS-)