"interpolate"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 3 17:13:21 UTC 2011

> As ideology is eternal, I must now suppress the temporal form in which I
have presented the functioning of ideology, and say: ideology has
always-already interpellated individuals as subjects, which amounts to
making it clear that individuals are always-already interpellated by
ideology as subjects, which necessarily leads us to one last
proposition: individuals are always-already subjects.

QED.

Ben's suggestion seems likely.  "Interpellate" has fewer syllables that
"address peremptorily," which proves that in pomo circles, obscurity
always-already trumps prolixity.

Many might be interested to know just why Althusser assigned this radically
new meaning to "interpellate" in the first place. But I'm not one of them.

At any rate, the new sense is not  in OED.

JL
---