Query: Earliest attestation of "Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band"

Sat Sep 3 18:04:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> No trace of a "razzy dazzy jazzy" anything in NewspaperArchive, ProQuest
> Historical Newspapers, Gale 19th Century U.S. Newspapers, the Old Fulton NY
> Post Cards site, or the L of C Chronicling America site.
>
> Likewise for "razzy jazzy dazzy," etc.
>
> Herbert Asbury's _The Latin Quarter_ (1936) alleges the following:

I've also looked into this to no avail. Daniel Hardie's _Exploring
Early Jazz_ has a cite from a 1919 letter to the New York Dramatic
Mirror talking about the Razzy Dazzy *Spasm* Band, of which the Razzy
Dazzy Jazzy Band was supposedly an offshoot, but even the letter
writer wasn't sure if that had anything to do with the origin of the
word "jazz".

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer