The sushi experience

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Sep 4 03:33:29 UTC 2011

On 9/3/2011 3:26 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett<gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      The sushi experience
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ....
> kaiten sushi/kaitenzushi - the sort of sushi shop where the sushi comes around on a conveyor belt - I don't think I've heard non-Japanese people use this word, but what do they call it? Wikipedia ( says "conveyor belt sushi," "sushi go-round" and "sushi train" (Aus).

The only other term I recall personally hearing in English is "revolving
sushi". But I don't know that we have such places in my neighborhood and
the topic is not often discussed.

On the Web one can find examples of "revolving sushi", "rotating sushi",
"circulating sushi".

The expression "running sushi", although ostensibly partly English,
seems at a glance to be popular particularly in Germany, Denmark, and
central Europe. In German text I see "laufende Sushi" as well as
"running Sushi". The Danish Wikipedia page is headed "Running sushi" [sic].

-- Doug Wilson

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list