Readings and texts for teaching American Dialects

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 7 14:05:04 UTC 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Michael Newman wrote:

> Easy:   Wolfram and Schilling-Estes American English.

When I taught "Varieties of English" with a colleague two years ago, we used W&S-E (2d ed.) as the primary text and _How We Talk_ as the secondary (supplemented with various papers along the way). That was for a freshman seminar rather than a graduate course, but if students have no specific background in dialectology, I'd probably make the same choice.

LH