Colin Powell

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 8 18:43:31 UTC 2011

Powell was born when his family was living in Harlem, but his family moved
to South Bronx within a couple of years. I saw a TV program that profiled
him a while ago and they did mention that his parents deliberately moved out
of Harlem because of the kids whom they wanted to grow up in a different
culture (from Harlem, not from their own).

I don't know about pure English, but the 1950s and 60s City College/CUNY
produced many of the future top US scientists, including several Nobel
laureates. So, intellectually, I would say, it was not behind the Ivies. As
for accents, I am just guessing that Colin Powell was largely shut out from
AAVE most of his life--perhaps deliberately by his parents, more than likely
at City College, and certainly within the US Military command structure. He
was also largely an administrator and a central staffer during his entire
military career, so I don't believe he had a field command--that would mean
that he did not interact much with the enlisted men either. I am not going
to speculate where, precisely, he polished his accent. All I am saying is
that he would not have had an opportunity to develop full-blown AAVE or a
corresponding accent (New York or otherwise). I'm sure Wilson will berate me
for speaking about something I know nothing about...

In some ways, I can actually relate to a part of Powell's bio. I was not
just a child of immigrants--I was an immigrant. I tended to limit
interactions with the respective immigrant group (outside the family), as
did my sister (but she's 10 years younger). After spending two years in
Chicago, most of my English was developed at MIT, where I was exposed to a
rather diverse group of accents. Most people cannot place my current accent
at all, although a few do spot hints of the original accent in certain
words. But they are baffled as to where the whole accent package came from.
It's fairly standard--sort of the national TV-anchor NJ/CA blend. After
having lived in Boston Suburbia (Cambridge, Belmont, Brookline, Newton,
Needham) for 22 out of the last 28 years, I've picked up little to no
characteristic local accent (any of them, really). I am not sure how much of
it was due to some sort of conscious monitoring--the majority of people I
interact with on regular basis did not grow up in the Boston area.

VS-)