Etymythology of posh, P. O. S. H.

Mon Sep 12 19:05:02 UTC 2011

Below are some cites for posh in 1917 and 1918. OED has a cite in 1914
(given in an earlier post) and Dave Wilton presented a cite in 1915 at
wordorigins.org. (Douglas G. Wilson's post on this thread gives a link
into GB). In the past a 1918 appearance in Punch was the earliest
known cite.

These cites probably do not help much with the P.O.S.H. etymythology,
but may be useful in formulating an etymology for posh.

Cite: 1917 June 20, The Illustrated War News, "Depot Days: I. -
"Chums.", Start Page 26, Quote Page 28, Column 2, Part 54 New Series,
Illustrated London News and Sketch Ltd., London. (Internet Archive at
archive.org)

<Begin excerpt>
He will gaze at your boots, one new pair, one repaired, and he will
tell you what a "posh" pair of "repaired" boots you have got. This
will surprise you. For yourself, your heart has found a great
affection for the new ones. They have a line, a dignity; they are a
noble pair of boots. The massy steel hobnails and the Bessemer
armoured heel fill you with mediaeval joy.
<End excerpt>
http://www.archive.org/stream/nsillustratedwar05londuoft#page/228/mode/2up

Cite: 1918 February 14, Flight & The Aircraft Engineer [Flight
International], A guide to the R.F.C. by Corporal "Vee", Pages
179-180, [London, IPC Transport Press Ltd. [etc.]], St. Martin's
Publishing Co. (Limited), London. (HathiTrust)

<Begin excerpt>
A GUIDE TO THE R.F.C. By CORPORAL "VEE."
The following definitions will enable the uninitiated to understand
the new language which has grown up with the development of the Royal
Flying Corps.
"Posh."-Another word of limitless possibilities. This time
descriptive. A "stunt" pilot is "posh;" the latest thing in scouts is
"posh"; a floury potato is "posh"; a pretty girl with short skirts and
nothing in particular for a blouse, is "posh." (Warning: A corporal is
never "posh.")
<End excerpt>
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015022679206
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015022679206?urlappend=%3Bseq=190
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015022679206?urlappend=%3Bseq=189

Cite: 1918 July 02, Boston Evening Globe, "Breezy Letter From Lieut
Leyson, Aviator", Page 2, Boston, Massachusetts. (NewspaperArchive)

<Begin excerpt>
I have had over 50 hours on them and all I have broken Is a tail skid
taxying out to take off. Yesterday I made a posh (good) landing in a
40-mile wind. Everybody thought I was sure to crash! Although I have
been darn fortunate on them, touch wood!
<End excerpt>

Cite: 1918, More Tommy's Tunes ("Tommy's Tunes" - Second Series), [An
Additional Collection of Soldiers' Songs, Marching Melodies, Rude
Rhymes and Popular Parodies, Composed Collected, and Arranged on
Active Service with the B.E.F. by F.T. Nettleinghame, Middlesex
Regiment], Glossary, Page 95 and 96, Erskine MacDonald, Ltd., London.
(Google Books full view)

<Begin excerpt>
Cushty. - Smart, posh, good.
Posh. - Best, good, cushy, tip-top.