football commentary

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 07:44:00 UTC 2011

"NFL history tied here, in Denver." (Live comments right after Raiders got a
record-tying 63-yd field goal)

I've heard a lot of different versions of historical high marks (a.k.a.
"records") being referred to as "history", but I've never heard "history
tied" before. Repeated, seen/watched, eclipsed, made, created--but not tied.

Well, that's not entirely true:

Hamas *history tied* to Israel

 Family *history tied* to violence.

> HOW IS PRACTICE OF *HISTORY TIED* TO THEORY?

The Hotel Paisano: Great old place with great *history tied* to movie
> 'Giant'...

Yale's *History Tied* to Slavery

But all of these have a different meaning of "history" and a different
meaning of "tied". But I did find one:

http://goo.gl/okWNV
Our slice of Tiger history tied

> What had been his — and the Quad-Cities’ — own personal slice of Tiger
> Woods history now has a co-owner.
> Until Y.E. Yang outgunned the incompable Woods in Sunday’s final round of
> the PGA Championship in Chaska, Minn., Fiori’s 1996 Quad-City Classic
> victory at Oakwood Country Club held the distinction of being the only time
> Woods had taken a solo lead into a Sunday final round and not come out on
> top.
> Yang’s rally from a shot behind to a three-shot win ended Woods’ run of 36
> straight front-running successes, dating back to 1996.

This is the only other time that I found someone using "history tied" when
some sort of historical mark was repeated. There might be more out there,
but they are, at best, infrequent.

VS-)