topic-marking "for me" 'as for me'

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 19:06:42 UTC 2011

I found one other instance for you:

http://goo.gl/QXkgo

> I understand that sentiment, but, for me, I won't be limited.

The problem is, "but" here thrown in a monstrous interference. "As for me"
would still be fine here, but the presence of "but" almost makes it
unnecessary.

Here'e another "but" version, without the comma:

http://goo.gl/LN2Is

> But for me, I'm more focused on executing an exciting fight. It's just my
> style.

In this case, it actually means "for myself" rather than "for my
part". Here's the full context:

I'm also a wrestler; I'm a junior-college All-American. I have pretty good
> ground-and-pound.
> But for me, I'm more focused on executing an exciting fight. It's just my
> style.

And here's the full context of the first quote:

[JF:] I get that, but many people – myself included - loved the experimental
> feel to Album. Is there a danger that Girls could become more self-limiting
> with the 'band' approach?
> CO: I understand that sentiment, but, for me, I won't be limited. At some
> point I'd like to make a record with an entire orchestra and work with an
> arranger. I don't want control of everything. To me it is all about
> servicing the song. There have been times when I have not wanted to even
> sing the song, which is kinda crossing the line. In order for it to be
> Girls, I still have to sing the song.

VS-)