"temporal"?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 13 22:45:25 UTC 2011

I was just about to write that it wasn't just a "malaprop" (and not
necessarily "mal-" anything) for "comtemporary", but for both "contemporary"
/and/ "temporary"--fixed in time in the past. I keep trying to come up with
something better, but, the best I can do other than "temporal", is
"time-framed" or "temporally restricted", which are no better. On the other
hand, I don't think I have a problem with this sense of temporal.

NB: Those OED entries that run out of examples in the 1830s or earlier
indeed often have passed out of use. But those that are listed through 1870s
through 1910s are often simply in a desperate need of an update. This one
falls in the latter category.

VS-)