News: Authors Guild Sues HathiTrust and Five Universities

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 00:20:29 UTC 2011

I am sure everyone will be happy to learn that the EU has extended recorded
music copyright to 70 years. Recordings and compositions will be treated
differently--which, I am sure, will make the studios happy. Not sure any
actual musicians will notice a whole lot of difference. Authors have 70
years after their death to hold on to the copyright--well, sort of ;-) US
copyright is 95 years, but may well get extended again by 2018.

VS-)

It is interesting that no one ever suggested that performance copyright
should be more flexible--e.g., give holders who are not actual performers 40
years, after which the right reverts to the performers and their estates for
50 years. This would be an ideal compromise.