Seen of Facebook: "Proud to be an _alumni_ [of UC Davis]!" [NT]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 15 18:43:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2011, at 9:47 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> :-(

Actually, I wrote " … [NT]."

You can't post an empty page and you can't post an e-mail whose body
exactly matches the body of any other e-mail that you've already
posted. As a consequence, it's impossible to post an e-mail that truly
contains no text in its body. And, what text there is has to be
unique. Hence, "[NT]" can't mean literally "no text." It has to be
interpreted as "_Nonsense_ text. (Read at your own peril.)"

And, of course, my *extremely*-obvious - I do but jest - point,
building upon earlier discussion, is that not *only* do *Harvard*
alumni now lack the least working knowledge of Latin, but *also* even.
my. own. fellow-alumni. of UC. *Davis.* lack such knowledge!

This is a *truly* unexpected and outrageous development!

I was aiming for irony. I must have missed.

My bad.

--
-Wilson
-----