fun with phrases

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 17:49:12 UTC 2011

Not to mention the fact the the slogan of the 2008 presidential campaign was
"Change", which is, in part, the same metaphor.

Of course, there were a few similar ones along the way:

"This is not your [grand]father's Oldsmobile"

Still, I am compelled to ask: Is it really new or just a transmogrification
of some other cliche from 1932? (or even 1832?)

There have always been two opposite direction for any "progress"--expand on
your predecessor vs. start anew. This is just conservatism vs. the
revolutionary. Or are you suggesting that the application to "self" is
something that's never been used before?

VS-)