fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 22:47:15 UTC 2011

Believe it or not, Alger's heroes all seem to succeed through the
intervention of rich zillionaires who recognize their worth, rather than
through "recreating/redefining/re-inventing" themselves or even solely
through hard work.

Anyway, it's one thing to "succeed": you're still you, just richer.

When you "redefine," though, the emphasis seems to be that other people will
see you in a better light, but overall success might still elude you. When
you "re-invent," you *are* different, but once again, success isn't
guaranteed. (You may have to re-invent yourself several times.)  These
nuances seem have been nearly unknown until recently.

Maybe they're distinctions without a difference, but they intrigue me.

JL