horsemaning

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 20 00:46:42 UTC 2011

I'll go for Door Number Two, Monty! Yes, they are clearly spelling it
wrong--but, apparently, that's a part of the joke:

http://www.horsemanning.com/

> Horsemanning, or fake beheading, was a popular way to pose in a photograph
> in the 1920's. Sometimes spelled horsemaning, the horsemanning photo fad
> derives its name from the Headless Horseman, a character from “The Legend of
> Sleepy Hollow.”  According to legend, the "original" horsemanning photo was
> discovered at a flea market. After a series of horsemanning photos began
> trending on Buzzfeed, people got inspired to recreate the horseman.
> Horsemanning is experiencing a revival and is best known as the new form of
> planking.  Check out our gallery which even includes some famous celebrities
> horsemanning!

Even then, it may be more Mayne Reid than with Washington Irving... Either
way, I'm turning into a grumpy old man and pronouncing it "horsemanuring".
As for the 1920s connection, there was a 1922 film Headless Horseman, with
Will Rogers as Ichabod Crane ( http://goo.gl/fZNdk ). I guess, that brings
it back to Washington Irving... sort of.

Wiki does have an entry with the correct spelling. It also mentions
"planking" and "owling", in passing.

http://goo.gl/HqJ5J

VS-)