dress-out

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 20 08:29:46 UTC 2011

When I was in high school ('60's), 'dress out' meant to change from one's school clothes into the gym uniform for participation in physical education class.

--Margaret Lee

From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: dress-out

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM, victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 13. Specific and technical uses.
>> Â a. To prepare for use as food, by making ready to cook, or by cooking
>> (also intr. =3D passive); also, to season (food, esp. a salad).

> Â h. To cleanse (corn) from chaff and the like.

Yes. That is indeed rather insufficient, not to mention new to me. I
would never use "dress out" WRT the literal preparing of food for
cooking, least of all WRT the preparing a salad. But, youneverknow. As
someone once said to me, "You people have such a colorful way of
speaking!"

The picture that I get is of a hunter "dressing out" the carcass,
which is hanging from a tree branch,  of, e.g. a deer or a feral swine
and then feeding its inwards or other offal to his dogs.

--
-Wilson
-----