Maddened by Mad Men

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 20 17:28:12 UTC 2011

There are a couple of dozen hits on various forms of "hold[ing] down the
fort" prior to 1964. Some go back to 1884, but about a third are from 1948
to 1962, including 1958 and 1962 Jet magazine, a 1960 play and 1958 and 1963
Billboard magazine (twice each!)--in fact, Billboard alone is responsible
for 8 hits from 1942 and 1963. [using hold/held/holds/holding for search
pattern all produce different results]

VS-)