Maddened by Mad Men

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Sep 20 22:10:15 UTC 2011

What is the particular objection to its use in Mad Men, given that it is not
anachronistic?

One might consider the phrase to be silly or overused, but it's certainly a
common expression and it's appearance in dialogue in a fictional TV series
is natural and to be expected. Naturalistic dialogue is one of the hallmark
of shows like this. The stock in trade of Ad men is the cliché; so it should
be with Mad Men.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:43 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Maddened by Mad Men

I understand what you're saying, but it seems to me (without having
carefully thought this out) that "holding down" is generally used to
mean something like "to retain [something]" or "keep [something] in
place," so in the case under scrutiny, "holding down the fort" would
seem to suggest just holding the fort in place or keeping it intact in a
general sort of way, whereas "holding the fort" suggests "holding ground
[against an adversary]," and is linked (in my mind, anyway) to "holding
off invaders," "holding back an onslaught," "holding out against the
enemy," a castle "stronghold," and so forth. In other words, "hold the
fort" (to me) implies the idea of defending against an aggressor.
Thoughts?