Maddened by Mad Men

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 20 23:40:17 UTC 2011

Given that much of what I came across in the 40s and 50s usage is a
secretary covering the office while the boss is out, this seems to be
/exactly/ the right cliche, in this case. Unless this is an issue of
securing "the fort" to the ground so that it does not fly away, this seems
to be just a personal pet peeve--both now and in 1962. In fact, take a look
at Faulkner's The Town to see that even the supposedly more standard
metaphor can be just as confusing:

"Good," he says, brisk and chipper as you could want. "I was hoping to see
> you before I left, to pass the torch on into your active hand. You'll have
> to hold the fort now. You'll have to tote the load."
> "What fort?" I says. "What load?"
> "Jefferson," he says. "Snopeses. Think you can handle them till I get
> back?"

And it's not like there is an overwhelming dominance of this form--there are
only about 30-40 of these from 1940 to 1964, which is about 3 times as much
as "hold down the fort". And most of these were in a historical context,
i.e., used literally. And I did not find a single one (perhaps I did not
look carefully enough) in the office context that I mentioned above.

VS-)