"everything": hamburger (1937), hot dog (1938), pizza (1954), bagel (1988)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 21 07:47:11 UTC 2011

Can't really antedate "everything bagel", except I know that I was buying
"everything bagels" from Kupel's in Brookline prior to May 1987. How much
prior I cannot say--I'm certain that I first set foot in the joint late in
1985, but I doubt that they had "everything" back then (unfortunately, they
already did have the cinnamon raisin variety, but not blueberry yet). I
found a reference to Bagel Dog in passing as well--from 1987. It's in GNA
behind the paywall.

KOSHER'S POPULARITY SPREADING FOOD EXHIBITORS SAY PUBLIC …
> Pay-Per-View - South Florida Sun - Sentinel - Dec 6, 1987
> Expo-goers, for example, can munch on a bagel dog -- a Kosher frank wrapped
> ... music and numerous lectures on everything from kosher certification to
> the ...

But, of course, NYT gets the story earlier:

http://goo.gl/zwLno

http://goo.gl/eZpP3

> WHAT'S NEW IN KOSHER FOOD - New York Times
> New York Times - Apr 5, 1987
> IN January, Bernan Foods, which for 25 years has marketed hors d'oeuvres
> primarily through kosher caterers and stores, introduced Bernie's East Bagel
> Dog , ...

This certainly jibes with my recollection, but that's even less reliable
than GNA. Note that the second article actually states that Bernan Food
introduced the Bagel Dog in January 1987. Unless someone else had it first,
of course... But both NYT articles suggest it was a new product, as does the
South Florida piece.

VS-)

* "everything bagel"