early "gay" cite

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 19:27:01 UTC 2011

> It's not exactly a leap to suppose that a word that was around in 1941 was
=
already known to some people in 1938.

That's really the most one can say with assurance, especially since we're
talking about gay show-biz people.

Because of the new "go gay" information, not available in 1994, I'm less
sure now that Grant intended "gay" in its 1941+ meaning. The upshot is that
when Oxford gets around to finishing up HDAS, brackets should be added to
the quote.

Meanwhile, stocks plunge, and Rick Perry doesn't mention that conditions in
Texas might be a heavenly sign concerning his political ambitions. Kind of
puts it all into perspective for me.

JL