tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Thu Sep 22 20:56:47 UTC 2011

On 09/22/2011 10:59 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Jonathan Lighter<wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: tree lawns; was Re: Off and on
>
> Ohio, with its unique "devil's strip," went for Obama.
>
> Alert the Tea Party.
>
> JL
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Laurence Horn<laurence.horn at yale.edu>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Laurence Horn<laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

>>> Nor do I, grown in NYC and living in New England, have a term.
>>
>> Right; I have a similar background and was disconcerted to see that Bert
>> Vaux's otherwise very useful survey page doesn't have an entry for *my*
>> favored term, i.e. "the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb".
>>   I will concede that "tree lawn", "berm", et al. are a bit more concise.
>>
>> LH, recalling an abortive attempt to popularize the label "dog-turd strip"
>> in the old pre-pooper-scooper era

In the Twin Cities area, the term is "boulevard."  My amateur guess:
originally "boulevard strip."

To the best of my knowledge, New York City has no term.

Berm:  For parts of my childhood, I lived on the Berme Road in Ulster
County, NY.  It ran near the route of the Delaware and Hudson Canal.

Dan Goodman dsgood at iphouse.com
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.