Follow-up on sluff - play hooky, slack off

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 02:10:00 UTC 2011

The 1991 film, _Ballad of the Sad Cafe_, set in rural Georgia in 1932, has
the line, "That nigger boy! He's sloughin'! He's sloughin'! No lollygaggin'
now!"

It means "sloughing off."  I don't recall ever encountering it w/o the
"off."

Presumably the 1924 "sluffer" didn't "slough things off." He just sloughed
'em.

JL