fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 02:16:04 UTC 2011

"Don't be a stranger!"

This fits under OED 4d, but the stereotyped phrase doesn't appear even once.
 GB finds several in the 19th C., the earliest from 1825.

Interestingly enough, the early exx. are invitations rather than
valedictions, which is the way I usually hear it,

JL