spit[ting] nails

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 12:25:24 UTC 2011

Sounds like a rough equivalent of "shitting bricks", which can either mean
"petrified" (afraid) or "ranting angrily". Yes, I've heard both versions.
OED only has the former (|| sweating bricks). Partridge distinguishes
between "being worried" and "being frightened" (also cited in OED), but I
have not seen anyone acknowledge that "angry rant" meaning.

VS-)