"belong to be"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 13:33:44 UTC 2011

Patty, "You belong in the penitentiary" sounds absolutely normal to me.

"You belong *to be* in the penitentiary" sounds borderline insane.

I'm not kidding about "borderline." Each time I think of it, it seems to
shift from clearly OK to virtually impossible.

Perhaps it's because the "to be" is logically sound but (to me)
syntactically alien.

Contrast:

1. "You belong in jail!"  (Perfectly normal.)

2. "You belong to be in jail!"  (Cue Twilight Zone theme.)

Note too how the meaning of "belong" changes from "ought to be/ should be/
deserve to be" in 1, to merely "ought/ should/ deserve" in 2.

JL