believe you me in oed

Sat Sep 24 01:03:25 UTC 2011

Victor Steinbok
> it's a "translation"--leif==believe;

Thanks for your response Victor. There is another edition (GB date
1781) that presents the text without the inline word "believe".
Instead, it uses a footnote at the end of the line to give the meaning
of "leif". I do not have ready access to EEBO (Early English Books
Online). Perhaps a search for "leif thou me" might find a useful match
in an original edition.

http://books.google.com/books?id=AEggAAAAMAAJ&q=leif#v=snippet&

And saide, Alexander leif thou me, [footnote y]

[footnote y] Believe