penciled out + fired

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 16:39:30 UTC 2011

The issue may partly stem from your specific example. A "lay off"
includes severence for the employees "laid off". If a company goes
into Chapter 11, the employees may not get anything, including pension
entitlements. (Think Enron.) In this case, being laid off is pretty
much the same as being fired.

I still think, however, that your perception is wrong. A google search
for "employees fired" brings up a list of stories about employees
being fired for cause. A search for "employees laid off" refers to
lay-offs. I don't know what source is generating the misuses you see,
but general usage seems to be mostly correct.
DanG