Quote: We haven't any money, so we've got to think (Henry Thomas Tizard 1952; attrib Ernest Rutherford 1952 probably)

Mon Sep 26 23:42:28 UTC 2011

The quotation appears twice in Volume 67 of The Chemical Age according
to the GB database. So I extracted some more text and found that the
unknown author of this article claims that Henry Tizard attributed the
quote to Rutherford.

The Chemical Age: Volume 67
books.google.com
1952 - Snippet view
Sir Henry, who has received many honours, is perhaps best known for
his services to the nation until recently in his capacity as Chairman
of the Government's Scientific Advisory Policy Committee and of the
Defence Research Policy Committee.

It was just as easy. Sir Henry said, to waste money on research as on
anything else -- especially if it were the taxpayers' money. In this
connection he recalled a remark once made by the late Lord Rutherford
concerning the advantage held by scientists --'We have not got any
money, so we have got to think.'

He had a sense of perplexity and frustration when he considered the
state of the country and the small probability that we should recover
real economic stability in his lifetime, and he asked himself whether
we had taken the wrong ...

(The Chemical Age; Volume 67; Year 1952; The quotation appears on page
79 and on page 80 of some unknown issue in the volume. According to
the sometimes accurate GB database.)